Saturday, 17 January 2015

Reasons I am a Feminist.

I'm not here to tell you what you should or should not believe but I am going to give my personal opinion and tell you reasons why I am a feminist.
 1 in 4 women in society are sexually assaulted and people still ask "what was she wearing?"
Students are taught in public school that when a girl has sex for the first time she will lose a part of herself. It is also told to boys but it is brought up more for girls.
Girls who have a lot of sex are "sluts" but guys aren't.
Boobs are used to sell everything but people look down on women who breastfeed in public.
Shaving is considered optional for men and mandatory for women (not in every case I know but A LOT of the time)
Because girls are put under so much pressure to value their appearance more than anything else.
Catcalling and street harassment, NOT A COMPLIMENT.
Because it is considered "normal" to cut off part of an infants penis.
Because 65% of Brazilians believe that a woman who dresses in revealing clothes deserves to be raped.
Because in Saudi Arabia, women still can’t vote or drive.
Because male victims of rape aren't believed since guys want sex all the time anyway...Hmm.
"The measure of the gender pay gap used in this analysis is median gross hourly earnings excluding overtime. The gender pay gap was 19.7 per cent in 2013, which means that the average woman will earn 19.7 per cent less than the average man per hour."*
Because I believe that the world should be safe for girls and guys…everywhere.
Because some modelling agencies scout for models outside eating disorder clinics.
Because half of the girls in Yemen will become child-brides.
Because domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women, more than car accidents and muggings.
Because men get laughed at when they talk about being in an abusive relationship.
Because people say that asexual, bisexual, and transgender doesn't exist.
Because in 34 states it’s legal to discriminate against someone who is transgender.
I’m a feminist because I believe in gender equality.
* I googled gender pay gap UK and that was what came up.

These are my personal views and some people may disagree and that is their choice, I'm not here to tell them what they can or can't believe but those are some of the reasons why I am a feminist.

Created By Sora Templates